Remember the Artsy Essay Contest from Judith?
Well, I didn't win, but Josi's entry really is awesome. Hers was one of the first I read and yes, I felt like I was there. So go check it out!
I was however the runner up! Isn't that great? I can't tell you how excited I was that I was a runner up! Wow, it feels really great! If you missed it, you can read it here. This is what the judges had to say about mine :
2. Lena- We thought this entry was so different from Josi's, in that events were more central to her ideal day than her ability to lose herself in the moment. In fact, the energy and excitement of this entry make us wonder whether there would be time in her day to serenely appreciate and lose herself in her senses.
But! The joy expressed through the simple, concise words and phrases is the main sentiment we saw in the piece. We liked the one-by-one entry of the young kids at the beginning of the day, and, again as in Josi's, the ordinariness of the day still being the context for an ideal day. It has the youthful energy of the kids, it shares their pace and their ability to jump from one activity to the next without losing momentum or excitement.
You can read what the judges had to say about Josi's and Heather's (the other runner up) here.
Saturday, November 10, 2007
October Artsy Essay Winner Announced
Posted by Lena at 7:37 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Congratulations!
That's awesome---good for you!! I loved your entry :)
hi my beana,
i am so happy for you. i loved your entry (and josi's). my favorite about yours was how you had each little one pop into the bedroom one by one in the morning. you made me smile to read your words. you made me want to be right there experiencing the same moment. i can't wait to see what you write for a contest again. you have flare. are you going to enter the november writing assignment/contest? it is on the theme of "family."
i saw a lady and a dude walking past me in the parking lot to costco yesterday and she reminded me of you. it would've been so fun if it had been you friend.
hope you guys are all done with being sicky now.
congrats again, you did so good on this, kathleen :)
Post a Comment