Monday, October 01, 2007

A Great Weekend!

I grew up in a home where birthdays were always celebrated. They were always a big deal celebrated with cake and presents no matter your age. I still feel that way and my kids and husband have caught the birthday bug. I turned 30 years old over the weekend. It doesn't feel different to say that but it sure SOUNDS so much different than twenty-something. We don't really have enough $ for presents this year with 2 kids birthdays coming up really quickly but Peter made it clear that I was getting something anyway. I was totally clueless and he was very happy about that. I have this gift of guessing that really annoys him. Well, this year he certainly surprised me. I had a sneaking suspicion but he never gave it away. On Friday he took the day off and surprised me when I went to pick up Eric at my parent's house after the big kids' art class that morning. (It's really more of a craft get-together at this point, lol.) I ran in to get Eric and there was Peter, hiding in the hallway with a bunch of roses. Stinker! So the kids stayed with my parents and we went to eat lunch and went bowling. We haven't been on a date out of the house in- I honestly can't remember. I'm pretty sure it was before Joseph (5 months) was born... We have a lot of date nights in the house but getting out is more difficult. Eric woudln't ever let us leave him with anyone- he would seriously cry the WHOLE time. Now that he is probably okay with it, we have Joseph and he doesn't take bottles. Plus, we really can't afford a baby-sitter at this point anyway, lol. It was really fun to get out and a GREAT birthday present. The next day I was able to sleep in until almost 7:30- that is a great luxury! The kids had wrapped up their own presents for me. Sarah made and painted a bowl out of oatmeal clay for my jewelry (wrapped in manilla paper stuffed in an Easter basket with that grass all over it, lol), Robert created his own card game with cards that he made- I'm still not sure of the rules, they seem to change every time we play- Kaela drew me some beautiful pictures of flowers and butterflies. I'll have to take pictures later. My parents gave me the book Twilight that I had been wanting to read (it's great!) and I was able to spend a chunk of the afternoon reading it. Later that afternoon the kids helped Peter decorate a chocolate fudge cake. I blew out all 30 candles and we were grateful that the smoke alarm didn't sound. I was later blessed to play the piano for a baptism of a wonderful lady who has been coming with her husband to church. Last week she announced in Relief Society that she was getting baptized and is expecting her first child! Then I came home to get the smallest munchkin and got to the General Relief Society Broadcast. I took Joseph so I could stay as long as I wanted to tonight since Grandma is in Colorado and I wouldn't need to bring her home right away like I usually do. We had a delicious dinner and spectacular dessert afterwards. It was fun to catch up with others but a little frustrating- that's another post.

Our Stake President spoke to us before the broadcast- he is such an inspired man. He spoke about how we really need to concentrate on family and that many are confusing needs and wants and that we need to be careful about that. He said kids don't need cell phones, cars, and their own rooms. They don't need to be in so many activities that you are driving around all week to practices, games, and other activities. I've seen many friends try to deal with this and it's not something I'm willing to do. To me, it's more important that they undertand the importance of eating dinner together than playing a competitive sport that they won't use for the majority of their lives. They learn plenty of competition and how to deal with being a good loser/winner when playing games together. That is one of Robert's biggest challenges in fact. I often wonder what happened to the good old days of playing outside? My kids were so excited for summer because they figured all the neighborhood kids would be able to play more now that school was out. Not so. I can count the number of times they played with kids on the block on one hand- and NOT use all the fingers. It made me sad really. I have such good memories of playing with friends on the block, using our imaginations to make up silly things, playing soccer and baseball for fun in the backyard or down the street at the school. I think it's probably a good thing that we can't afford to put them each in an activity of their choosing. It gives me a chance to slow down and look at priorities. I feel the guilt- often. I want my kids to learn everything they want to learn and try out everything so they can find something they love. With a large family though, can you imagine if I let them each pick a sport and an instrument? We'd be in the car every night to cater to that and they'd never get a chance to be kids like I was. SOme think it's selfish for me to not want to be that busy. Maybe it is. I just think that for our family, this is best for now. I think increasing the bonds we have together will help us in the long run more than learning a different skill/sport/instrument right now. The difficult thing with this decision is that those are GREAT things for kids to learn. They are not bad by any means. They can teach a child discipline, sportsmanship, teamwork, self esteem, fitness, and a myriad of other skills that are great to have in life. I guess I just think that that isn't the ONLY place they can learn those things- or the only time. There is a time and season for everything right? Now, I don't want anyone reading this to think I look down on those who choose differently. I know we know what our kids needs and that as parents we do the best we can for our families. Of course we do! I'm just sharing my view because, well, it's MY blog, lol!

Anyway, that was a ramble if I ever saw one. I loved all of the speakers at this year's conference and can't wait for next weekend. We were given the new Stake Goals- awesome. We were given a new goal program for the women of our stake- also awesome. I can use my reading every day for a month goal given to me by Kathleen. I'm always good and fired up after these things. I have so much more to say,a few vents and some other things but they will have to wait. So little time!

8 comments:

Crystalyn said...

Hi Hi Hi. I am exited that you talk so much. (lol) I saw you do that "lol" thing. That means laugh out loud, right? I am really loving getting to know you, Lena. You first mentioned you turned 30. Now I'm laughing out loud. You see I am only 20 something. So was it hard to have all 30 candles lit at the same time. I am impressed Peter pulled it off. By the way you look fantastic for being 29 and 1/2. The picture of you on your blog was taken this last summer. You really have not changed one littlest bit since High School. Do you feel wise in your older age? I feel 45. I have a wonderful Rachel girl to thank. She taught me so much. More then I could tell you about.

Later you talked about hearing your Stake President speak. You sound exited about church. I miss that. I blame part of it because you are awsome and part because you are in the mission field. When I lived in Texas I remember people talking about the gosple in everyday conversations. I don't really find that happening very often now. You ROCK Lena.

Hey, I do love living here in Woodruff because kids play outside. My two older boys play year round. I have learned what coats really keep the cold out. I also live in such a small neighborhood I feel VERY safe sending them out all by themselves. This is the biggest plus about Woodruff.

Blog on! Love, Biff

Anonymous said...

hi lena:
that's right, it is your blog! you are on the right track! i totally agree with you about not having the kids in too many things. i loved that, too, about growing up -- actually playing outside with all the neighbor kids.

i really enjoyed the women's conference this past sat, too. so glad i got to go.

thank you for the cute notes this morning. you really brightened my day. you do so rock. blessings to you and don't let anybody talk you into thinking you aren't doing good enough. none of that. take care, kathleen :)

ps. i loved reading in 2 Nephi today :)

frugalmom said...

That is so true about limiting activities. For 3 years we let the two older kids play soccer. We had 2 or 3 practices during the week and 2 or 3 games Saturday for 8 weeks. It stunk. I hated it. This year I didn't sign them up because we knew we'd need weekends to work on the house. Neither kid loved soccer that much anyway, and I don't feel like they are missing out at all by not playing.

Cami said...

Aww, happy birthday Lena! It sounds like you had a good one, that is so cute that your hubby suprised you with roses and bowling! How CUTE! And that is so totally cute that your kids made you those fun presents! And, of course, it's awesome that you got Twilight!

I totally agree with you about the kids never playing outside anymore, it's sad! I'm glad that your Stake President talked about kids not NEEDING cell phones and cars, it's just getting ridiculous! Anyway, I like your old fashioned views on things. I feel the same way about a lot of those things! And I love how you said, "I can write what I want, it's MY blog"! lol! :)

Anonymous said...

hi lena:
happy bday, too! i am older! na na na. :) i just turned 39 on my 16aug post.

come and see me tonight. i answered a crazy and silly meme and had so much fun doing this. do you feel like doing the meme, too? come on, join me, it's fun.

great night,
kathleen :)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY bday Lena! :) I love your take on things as well...last year I remember reading something from the American Academy of Pediatrics: some study saying basically that it was 'clinically proven' that children simply needed time to play outside. Telling parents to stop over scheduling, and to let their kids have TIME to *be*. Important for all of us!! Anyway, so glad you got a break and that it was a sweet day for ya! You definitely deserve that (way more than once a year! ;)

Anonymous said...

PS--What's the frustrating part that's the 'other post'? I'm curious. lol.

Lena said...

Well good! I'm glad I'm not the only one with that frame of mind! Now if we could all just live in the same neighborhood so our kids could play together, lol! My mom was saying how it is good to learn to work as a team. I've got enough kids that they are on teams with games. If you can work with your siblings I think you can work with anyone right?

 
design by suckmylolly.com