Wanna know what I did this last Saturday? I was in the kitchen almost the entire day. It is SO worth it though. I now have 22 different meals in my freezer ready, or almost ready, to eat. I'm talking DIFFERENT meals. They are tried and taste great after freezing. We'll be eating great for the rest of the month. This will save us some $$ I believe as a nice bonus to saving me precious time. You see Joseph is usually fairly cranky just about when it is time to get dinner started. If we've had a tough day or I'm sick or we've been running around and I just don't feel like cooking, I don't have to- it's already done! That means we don't order pizza or go get chicken nuggets either. Money saved. We had many things that I needed already on hand but Peter went shopping for the majority of it and it was just under $200 for everything we needed in addition to lunch and breakfast things for 2 weeks. My feet were killing me later that evening but oh, it is worth it when I look in my freezer!
I was thinking about posting a few political thoughts but I am too tired to think any more about it and have been too riled up today as it is. Maybe later ;)
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
OAMC- Done!
Posted by Lena at 4:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



12 comments:
Who-hoo! I'm impressed :) Wish you lived closer--it's so much more fun doing it with a friend (and even with lots of little ones goes faster than alone!!) I just finished a 2 weeker...first time I'd done less than 30 days but it's still amazing to have them ready to go at that time of day you REALLY don't want to think about dinner :) Nothing like some good satisfaction after the hard work!
I want to know more about this... but I don't have a ton of freezer space. Is it still possible to do? Maybe you can post some of your favorite freezer meals?
GOOD JOB! No really I mean it. I have thought of doing the same, but that is were I stopped. I have yet to do even one. FANTASTIC!
Have you ever heard of friends trading meals, were you cook 5 dinners and give 4 away and then the next 4 nights friends are brining you dinner? Does it work and is it worth it?
wow lena beana, i am amazed. i did not know you had super powers.
you rock mama,
beany
That is awesome!
to crystalyn, I know a few ladies who have done the "dinner co-op" thing and loved it, but it wouldn't work for me. They had really strict rules and stuff and it didn't fit with my cooking style or budget.
I would love to find someone to do this with. I've got to work harder on that one.
Jen- I think you can do this with limited freezer space. There are some things that can take up a lot of room but most of my meals can just be put in gallon ziplock bags and if you lay them flat to freeze you can fit a bunch in there. I like the recipes from the book Once a Month Cooking but I also just use recipes that were on our usual menu- like spaghetti and stroganoff- and I've gotten others from Christysclipart.com and onceamonthcookingworld.com and frugalmom.net. I'd be happy to give you any recipes or a list of what I made this time! OH and you may even be able to do less cooking because you could probably split a lot of the meals into 2 since you little ones probably don't eat a ton yet right?
Crys- I know people who LOVE the trading meals thing but I also know a couple of people that didn't like it. I think you'd have to be choosey about who you switch with to make sure you are changing good quality meals and if you, or they, are dealing with food allergies, it could be tough.
Beany- super powers? ha!
beana -- yes, super powers! ha. you rock, beany
thanks for the links!
Wow Lena, gratz on the super day of cooking. I'm good about grocery shopping to buy stuff that is preplanned so I know what to have for dinner most nights, but remembering to take it out of the freezer is a whole other thing, lol or me getting the energy to do so:))
have a great day!
MaBunny
I'll do it with you, Lena! I used to do freezer meals every month, before we moved here. Since then, I just double things every once in a while. We should get together and compare recipes.
Yes! It's so much easier with a buddy! I used to do that with a friend and we loved it. Cook for a day, eat for a month. But what a day! I bet you were exhausted.
Post a Comment