Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Check Out MikaRose- Modest Dresses

I had the privilege of interviewing Michaella Lawson, owner and designer of MikaRose. She has a great new dress shop filled with beautiful, classic, elegant dresses that are also MODEST! Yep, no undershirt necessary. It isn't the easiest thing to find dresses of this sort in the shops around town. Here are some of the things I was curious about:


Me: What made you decide to open up shop?

Michaella: I started MikaRose because I noticed there was a lack of dresses for women who did not want to reveal certain parts of their bodies. I wanted to design dresses that were not only modest but elegant as well.

Me: How long have you been designing?

Michaella: My designing experience began when I started MikaRose so that is almost three years.

Me: Where do you get the inspiration for your designs?

Michaella: A great deal of my inspirations comes from our customers. I get a lot of feed back on our designs as well as people sending us emails about what types of dresses that they would like to see. I also look to the past for inspiration. I love the clothes that women of the 30, 40, and 50s. The other way I get inspired is through family and friends. For example our style called the Ariana was inspired by a friend who told me how frustrating it was to not be able to find a classic shirt dress.

Me: What are your plans for the future of MikaRose?


Michaella: Currently, we are working on introducing a maternity line at the beginning of next year. I also get a great deal of request to add a plus size line to the MikaRose collection so we are exploring that as well.

Me: Any possibility of a children's line?


Michaella: Someone asked me this very same question last week and I said I don't think so because the kid's clothes out there are already modest. Then after this conversation, I thought about how I am always putting a t-shirt underneath my daughters dress. Thus, I think the answer to that is a definite possibility if another company has not tackled it yet.

Me: Tell us a little about the woman behind the dresses.


Michaella: First in foremost, I am a mother and wife. I started MikaRose out of a frustration and a desire to stay at home with my child. I am the mother of a two year old who has been a blessing to me while starting this business. My husband has been a blessing because he has supported me through this endeavor. I love to travel and when I do, I am always looking at what people are wearing and thinking of new dress ideas. I love clothes and dresses that make people feel feminine yet sexy while maintaining their modesty. One of my favorite things to do is to cook. I love trying different types of cuisines and going to restaurants to see if I can make similar dishes.

Me: How do you balance your business with family?


Michaella: I take my crazy two year old everywhere I go except in formal business meetings. When I travel, her and my husband travel with me and he will keep her while I am in meetings or if it is informal, I will have her with us. I also have a playroom for her in my office so that she is there. My husband and I do a date night once a week so that we know there is one day that it is just us and we are enjoying ourselves and each other. Also we have a family night once a week with our daughter doing a variety of activities.

Me: Is there anything else you would like us to know?

Michaella: For me the number one goal of MikaRose is to create dresses that women are happy to wear. We work hard on making sure that our clients are happy.


I think a maternity line is an excellent idea and I wouldn't mind petite sizes either! So go take a look at what could be the next item in your closet. Here's my favorite from the clearance rack and my favorite one from the 2007 collection is Halle.

What's your favorite?

She mentioned she may want to do a giveaway but I haven't heard back from her about that so keep checking back for updates!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi sweetie,
i like all the pictures up the left side. what is in peter's hand? miss you, beany bear xoxo

Crystalyn said...

I am impressed. I like her style. Thanks for the post.

 
design by suckmylolly.com