Wow, I just LOVE this concept. I bought the book a long while ago and finally got around to trying it out. The first time I made 15 meals and planned other things to carry us through to almost the end of the month. It was SO helpful to have a meal in the freezer completely or almost completely ready to go. The last two times I didn't have enough time to devote to the kitchen so I just did 2 weeks worth. It saves us money because I've always got something ready even if I don't feel like cooking so we don't have to a last minute fast food or pizza night. I am so pleased with this and we eat so well when I have this ready. It really does take some stress out of my life to have a nice dinner already planned and prepared. I want to incorporate a baking day as well and do many loaves of bread and muffins and cookies as well. I have been so busy with the kids' school, my school, and well, life, that this one little thing has just really helped me out.
Another tip I found to help me get in "work" mode at home and stay there for a while is to wear my apron. I read a great article on Hillbilly Housewife about this. You'll have to click around to find it. The gist of it is that if you want to feel like June Cleaver- dress the part. Get dressed and make-up on (they are talking nice full skirt with pearls and pumps but I don't take it that far) and put on that apron. My kids notice I am in cleaning, or cooking, or at least busy mode and I seem to be taken a little more seriously in my apron at times. I need a new one with a pocket though and maybe some lace around the edges... I loe my apron and how I stay in go-mode while I wear it (otherwise I tend a bit towards the lazy bones) not to mention its ability to keep my clothes cleaner!
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Once a Month Cooking and Ode to an Apron
Posted by Lena at 1:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
I've heard this before, somewhere. I tried it once myself, but we weren't fans of the reheating the frozen food part. Josh prefers it made fresh, so I gave up on it.
I also dress up to clean, at home or at work. Perfume, hair done nice, earrings... it puts me in a wonderful mood. And if somebody were to interrupt me, I still look good.
And I LOVE HillBilly Housewife! hahah. I am amazed that somebody else goes there!
P.S. Save your hands, always wear gloves when you clean. Your hands will thank you years from now.
oh I LOVE OAMC. Every time we do it I think, "why don't we do this constantly?!" The food's amazing, and once you try all the menu's, it's like ordering from an awesome resturant. Love it. :) It's amazing how much stress is gone by having that detail done in a day!! I remember when Sher & I did it together, and with 8 kids, together we made 60 meals & were done by 5pm!!! It went faster than 30 meals alone. AWESOME.
hi beana,
i can just SEE you as june! what a hoot!
Hmm thats one I have to check out. I could find the time to devote to cooking for a few weeks worth of meals. When I don't feel like cooking we have "fend for yourself night". Nobody actually eats junk, but they aren't always pleased there is no cooked dinner.
Gotta try to find Hillbilly Housewife, sounds interesting
MaBunny
Hey, Lena! It's Andrea. I stumbled across your blog, and I'm so excited! I love finding new blogs to read - I have nothing else to do, you know!
I think the OAMC concept is so cool. My sister-in-laws and I did it for my in-laws for their Christmas gift. It was a fun day.
Post a Comment