Do you know what a Fanilow is? A Fanilow is a person who absolutely LOVES Barry Manilow! Well, that would be me. I grew up listening to all kinds of music and Barry and his "Jump Shout Boogie" was a family favorite. We would boogie with my dad like crazy! I don't know why it stuck with me more than my siblings but somehow it did. I did't know anyone else that liked Barry Manilow when I was a teenager so it just didn't come up that often. When I went to BYU one of my best friends turned out to have a great Barry Manilow collection! Then we found out one of our "brothas" was also a fan. It was like a little home away from home. When we were being silly or sad over boys, Lindsey and I would sit in her dorm room blasting Barry for hours. "Weekend in New England" was a big hit those days. Sadly I am again without any known Fanilows around me (besides my parents). Now the saddest part- it happened, oh, 3 or 4 years ago. Barry Manilow was singing on some TV station for their New Year's Eve Party. I can't believe I'm going to admit this... I didn't know I had it in me and frankly I'm a bit ashamed but at least someone will get a good laugh. So I was gleefully watching Barry and singing along and he started singing- I can't even remember what song it was!- and I actually started crying. Yep, I was like one of those silly girl fans that you see on TV, only I wasn't even there in person! I stopped myself as soon as I realized how dumb I was being but not before Peter saw me and got a good chuckle out of it too. You will be happy to know that I was also pregnant at the time so that, of course, clouds my judgment. I think it was more the memories that Barry stirs up than anything- it's not like I find him handsome or anything. So that is my big confession. I had the opportunity to go to a concert last year (also pregnant then) with my dad and I'm happy to report that while a lot of dancing, clapping, and yelling occured- there was zero crying. What a great showman he is though! I will never again have a terrible Fanilow moment like I did that New Year's Eve, but yes, it did happen.
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
You're so funny! :) lol, I'll also admit I have a few Manilow CD's from way back when, and whenever I hear 'em on the radio I know the words--lol!!! :P Loved your stories! Are the kids doing better? Hope so--no fun!
Post a Comment